unFold is a Twitter-zine published by Folded Word. It originally posted three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday), but unFold 2.0 posts once a week on Fridays. The zine is edited by Rose Auslander, with the assistance of Kristine Slentz. unFold is now seeking well-written short poems in any poetic form. If you would like to submit poems, please take note of the guidelines at the bottom of this page and fill out the submission form.
unFold, the successor to Form.Reborn on Folded Word, is a “PG-ish” experimental poetry journal published on Twitter and archived here. It originally sought 140 character (including spaces) poetic Tweets suitable for mobile poem text messages and encouraged poets to improvise solutions to Twitter’s inhospitability to traditional line breaks.
Having successfully explored the micro-poetic form, unFold‘s new incarnation will now post poems longer than 140 characters on the unFold Twitter stream by embedding them on images. Our updated Twitter-poetry zine:
- Gives poets expanded space
- Holds each title and poem together
- Helps poems grab eyes in a sea of visual noise
- Harnesses the power of hashtags to find new readers.
Accepted poem/image combos will be published on Twitter and archived on our blog. Contributors will receive a chapbook from our recent catalog as a thank you gift for sharing their work with us.
New Guidelines Overview:
- Editor: Rose Auslander | Assistant Editor: Kristine Slentz
- Reading Period: year round
- Issue Close Date: 31 December of each year
- Publication Date: generally released as an unFold Twitter update each Friday.
- Number of Poems Needed: a total of 52 poems per year
- Maximum Number of Poems per Submission: one (more details below)
- Simultaneous Submissions: no
- Previously Published Submissions: no (exceptions below)
- Royalty: complimentary chapbook from our recent catalog (choice from stock on hand, an $8 value)
- Other Perqs: priority consideration of manuscripts submitted for our chapbook series
We will respond to submissions as quickly as possible, but initially it may take some time to decide on the best poems to launch this new concept.
Submission of Poems:
To be considered, a poem must:
- Have a title, which must be 70 characters or less
- Be 1 – 10 lines (of reasonable length)
- Have a / at the end of each line and a // at the end of each stanza (in case the form eats line breaks)
- Be previously unpublished. EXCEPTIONS: a poem only published on your own blog OR only published in print.
- Follow all submission guidelines. Submissions that do not follow the guidelines will be deleted without notification.
THIS IS IMPORTANT: Please only send us one poem at a time — and wait until you hear from us on your first submission before sending us another. We’ll only be posting one poem a week (generally on Fridays), so please send your best short work.
ALSO: We will consider visual art by the poet to accompany the poem, but we reserve the right to select an alternate piece from another artist if we feel it will better serve the poem and the zine.
By filling out the form below, you grant us non-exclusive rights to publish the submitted work electronically in perpetuity and certify that the submitted work does not violate the copyrights or trademarks of any other individuals or entities.
Visual Art Queries
We are accepting queries from visual artists who would like their work paired with poems, either in unFold or in our chapbook series. Simply tweet an image from your online portfolio that you think can “have a conversation with” the following haiku from Julie Warther’s WHAT WAS HERE:
in an icicle
a sky full of stars
Tweets should be in the following format: @foldedword @unFold_mag #ArtQuery [image link]
You’ll know we saw your query when we favorite it. We’ll direct-message you on Twitter with instructions if we think your style is a good fit with an upcoming publication.
Not on Twitter? Please mail the image on a postcard (or similar-sized print) with a cover letter that contains a short bio and online portfolio URL to:
unFold Art Query
79 Tracy Way
Meredith, NH USA
For permissions or press enquiries:
79 Tracy Way
Meredith, NH USA
603.707.4595 (Skype message line)
editors [at] foldedword [dot] com